City Girl, Country Life

I am a city girl. Well, I'm actually from the suburbs of a city, but close enough to enjoy all the city amenities. Now, however, I live in the country. This is my attempt to make sense of living in the country - since you can take the girl out of the city, but not the city out of the girl!

Name:
Location: Texas

I'm a city girl learning to love the country. It was my late husband's dream to live in the country, and now I'm working to keep it without him. You are welcome to join me on this adventure!

Friday, May 27, 2011

Pond life

The drought is still here, although not so much in my spirit any more. We are in the extreme drought stage - you know, the really dark red spots on the weather map. Burn ban. Conserve water. HEAT. It's taking a toll on everything. As a result, our pond is very low but since it's quite large there is still plenty of water in it. Which is good for the wildlife that lives around us. I hear the frogs at night, their chorus swelling in the evening air. As I drive home after dark, the deer are sneaking a drink under cover of darkness, their eyes glowing in the distance as my headlights scan the horizon. Racoons and other small creatures come out, driving the dogs crazy, who consequently awaken us with their incessant barking, "stay away!"
During the day, a blue heron walks the edge of the pond, fishing. Turtles sun themselves on the banks and high spots that are seeing the sun for the first time in years. The dogs cool themselves off with a quick swim around the pond before napping in the shade of a tree.
We are getting a glimpse of life that we do not ordinarily see, one that we would not see if we were still in the city. I like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home