City Girl, Country Life

I am a city girl. Well, I'm actually from the suburbs of a city, but close enough to enjoy all the city amenities. Now, however, I live in the country. This is my attempt to make sense of living in the country - since you can take the girl out of the city, but not the city out of the girl!

Name:
Location: Texas

I'm a city girl learning to love the country. It was my late husband's dream to live in the country, and now I'm working to keep it without him. You are welcome to join me on this adventure!

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Wildfires

It's a sad fact of life in the country - there are no fire hydrants! Recently, a "neighbor" neglected his grill while barbequeing on Father's Day and started a fire. If you remember, we are in a DROUGHT, the worst heat and drought since they have been recording weather in Texas. 5,300 acres burned, 30 homes lost. We did not have to leave, but even so many of the roads were closed off and we were essentially trapped for several days. I am thankful we have a well-stocked pantry!
I started this post in early July. It is now mid-September and we have had yet another wildfire near our home. I've *heard* that this one is suspected arson; I sincerely hope not due to the end result. Accidents are bad enough but someone doing this deliberately? I can't even imagine. It was Labor Day (holidays are dangerous around here!) and my mother called asking if I had seen the plume of smoke in the near distance. I ran outside and there is was, rising up like a demon, black and this and growing rapidly. DH drove down to the corner store (aka the gas station 8 miles away) to get information. Rumors and panic. For 3 days we watched the tv and internet for information, waiting anxiously for it to be contained. On Wednesday, DH had to leave on business and I assured him I would be fine. The fire was nowhere near us.
(Jump to midnight) "Were those sirens?" I asked myself before turning off the tv and looking outside into the black night of the country. I see nothing. I check Facebook, the source of so much information during a crisis, and there it is. URGENT UPDATE: The following streets are being evacuated immediately.... and there is my street name. Of course. I'm home alone and it's the middle of the night. And "yes, those are definitely sirens" as I hear them again. "Ma'am, you have to leave now. The fire has jumped the road and firebreak and is heading this way. Plan to be gone several days. They let people back too early in other areas and had to re-evacuate them. They're not going to make that mistake again."
It's amazing how that can paralyze a person. My mind was going in all different directions, my body wouldn't move. Call my husband. Pack. Take the gifts for other people that you are waiting to give them (because those are important, ha!). Don't forget the dogs. Oh, yeah, and their food and treats and leashes. Random things. I go back 3 times after setting the alarm. I say goodbye - it's not "mine" anyway, only stuff that God has entrusted to me.
I stop on the street when I see the police car talking to a group of neighbors. As I approach, they are trying to decide whether to leave or not. Some do, some don't. I hear the officer ask them for "name, address, date of birth and next of kin" as I get back in the car and drive around the group. I have good friends who are willing to take me and my three 100 lb. dogs in, in the middle of the night. We sit up and talk until I can no longer stay up. DH drives back and arrives early in the morning, with coffee (thank you!!!) and breakfast for everyone.
The end result? We were allowed home after 4 days, although we left our friend the next night (middle of the night again...) once we got a call that our daughter was in labor. We couldn't sleep so we left to welcome our newest granddaughter into the world. Life out of tragedy. Joy out of stress. Our home was fine, but 19,000 acres burned, 78 homes lost. It's so sad to drive through the area and see the devastation. My heart breaks for those who lost everything.
"PRAY FOR RAIN" signs are posted on fence posts all over Texas. We are praying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home