City Girl, Country Life

I am a city girl. Well, I'm actually from the suburbs of a city, but close enough to enjoy all the city amenities. Now, however, I live in the country. This is my attempt to make sense of living in the country - since you can take the girl out of the city, but not the city out of the girl!

Name:
Location: Texas

I'm a city girl learning to love the country. It was my late husband's dream to live in the country, and now I'm working to keep it without him. You are welcome to join me on this adventure!

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Spiders and Scorpions and Snakes, Oh My!

Spiders: Black widows give me the creeps! While I don't especially *like* any spiders, I can live in peace with the varieties that populate my gardens. I appreciate it when the black and yellow garden spiders, the ones with the really big orb webs, bounce as I approach their lair. It makes it easy to see them and stay out of their way. But I really don't like the black widows that hide in secret places. Country life has taught me to never reach into a dark space without first shining a light into it and brushing it out first. I also carry a can of spider kill spray. I don't do squish.
Scorpions:
M: "Ow, ow, ow! (lots of jumping and grabbing foot) Am I gonna die? Oh, my foot, my foot! It hurts, it hurts! Am I gonna die?:
Me: "What happened? Are you okay?"
M: "I stepped on a scorpion. Oh, my foot! Am I gonna die?!!!"
Me: "Yes, you're gonna die"....but not from this!
My city-raised girl will not go barefoot in the house anymore.
Snakes: I looked out the door onto my back porch one day while doing laundry, and resting on the cool concrete near my potted plants was a copperhead. Mouth open, waiting for his prey (the fat toad hiding behind another pot), he waited. I, on the other hand, gave my dogs a withering look and rolled my eyes at them as they lay nonchalantly nearby. Walking to the garage, I grabbed a shovel and crept slowly back to the plants. *Whack* The snake wriggled and squirmed but could not strike as I proceeded to chop its head off. Now, I throw like a girl, even with a tool in hand. Picking up the dead snake with the shovel, I carried it to the woods so the dogs wouldn't try to eat it (or act all brave now that it was dead...). My toss managed to land the snake in a tree, hanging from a branch. Oh, well - I was not going in after it. I showed it to my husband when he got home and he laughed, saying it would serve as a warning to all the other snakes. We haven't seen any since!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home